Monday, April 9, 2007

dear mr. saunders

In Fredericksburg this past weekend we stopped into Riverby Books ~ a fabulous second-hand bookstore. We poked around for hours (as we are wont to do) and I picked up a couple of old Victoria & Albert books on Adams and Regency silver (published by Her Majesty's Stationery Office), and second-hand copies of The Virgin Blue and Perfume. On our way out I noticed a sign in the window about a letter from the ill-fated Princess Charlotte Augusta to a Mr. Saunders (?). The letter was written in 1811 by the then 15-year old Charlotte ~ about what, it is unclear. The bookstore has acquired the letter, but it seems is that no one can read the handwriting. Having done my fair share of transcription of historic documents, I was immediately intrigued. If you are interested in taking a stab at it, the letter is posted on the Riverby Books website. You know I will be driving myself insane with it...!

2 comments:

Style Court said...

Sounds like an amazing book shop. Thanks for the link!

Anonymous said...

I have read all of her books thus far! and The Virgin Blue is one of the top faves. along with The Fallen Angel.
I think that is what it is called...