Tuesday, April 3, 2007

hana-mi

The Japanese call it hana-mi (flower watching). I recently heard it referred to as a relaxation sport ~ that rush to enjoy those delicate pink cherry blossoms as they bloom for a few short days each spring. Today is THE peak day for hana-mi here in Washington, and though we have only been practicing this “sport” since 1912 (the Japanese have been at it for more than a 1000 years), we have gotten quite good at it. I myself will be heading down to the Tidal Basin after work today, because as they say “if you blink, you might miss them.”

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

An ode to fragile and temporary beauty.
One of my favorite poems.
Paul Bourget's "Beau Soir". KDM

Lorsque au soleil couchant les rivières sont roses
Et qu'un tiède frisson court sur les champs de blé,
Un conseil d'être heureux semble sortir des choses
Et monter vers le coeur troublé.

Un conseil de goûter le charme d'être au monde
Cependant qu'on est jeune et que le soir est beau,
Car nous nous en allons, comme s'en va cette onde:
Elle à la mer, nous au tombeau.

Janet said...

When streams turn pink in the setting sun...so lovely my dear! Thank you.

Anonymous said...

I didn't get down to see the Cherry Blossoms this year. However, after the big storm the other night, I happen to be walking over to my laundry room, and saw little pink cherry blossom petals everywhere. I picked up a bunch in my hand and brought them to eye level- and let the wind take over. It was beautiful seeing the little petals fly around me. Then later I came up with a blurb (my version of haiku) about it... but i can't remember it exactly....maybe..

Piles of pink petals- tender.
Wind lifts them high and they swirl
Spring is here