Wednesday, April 4, 2007

spring rain and cameos

Well, Spring decided to take a break ~ at about 4:30 this morning a fierce thunder and hail storm woke up the residents of the greater Washington area and ushered in cold damp air. Time for a warm cup of tea.

Have been thinking about cameos lately ~ maybe because I found my own as I was rummaging through my jewelry box the other day, or because I had been looking at Classical architecture all weekend, and dreaming of ladies in white linen dresses (spring fever does strange things to one's brain). This is an Italian cameo, Nessus and Deianira by Giuseppe Girometti, dated 1815-1820. It was included in a beautiful exhibition at the Metropolitan Museum of Art called Cameo Appearances. Love, love, love!

(image: The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, Purchase, Gift of Assunta Sommella Peluso, Ada Peluso and Romano I. Peluso, in memory of Ignazio Peluso, 2004)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful cameo. You've inspired me to start wearing mine.

Blissville said...

Oh, oh, oh, spring is here! - your cuz, with love, love, love (and great admiration) - R